Out & About
- I’m pleased to be able to advise you that the repairs to the footbridge at Millstream Meadow have been completed. A number of planks had risen during the hot weather last summer. They have now been re-secured.
- The widening of the entrance to Exeter Road allotments will be completed during the week of 17 January.
- Talking of allotments: We still have a few vacant plots at Exeter Road and Tower Hill and no waiting list. Anyone interested should make contact with Diane Hopkins either by calling at the town hall or by e mail.
- Every seven years the Parish organises a Beating the Bounds event. Beating the bounds is an ancient custom still observed in some English and Welshparishes. Under the name of the Gangdays, the custom of going a-ganging was kept before the Norman Conquest. A group of old and young members of the community would walk the boundaries of the parish, usually led by the parish priest and church officials, to share the knowledge of where they lay, and to pray for protection and blessings for the lands. In Chudleigh, the person who shares his knowledge of the parish boundaries is Alan Brunton. He will be organising the event on 7 September 2019 when he, and other leaders, will lead a walk around the parish boundary. It’s a walk of some 17 miles so it is an all day event. We’ll be telling you how you can book a place on this event sometime in April.
- The felling of the Beech tree at Culver Green has been delayed due to an injury to the contractor. This will now take place later in January.
- The repairs to the perimeter of the skate park were completed before Xmas.
- The laying of a new tarmac path at Culver Green should be happening in January or February.
- The A38 overbridge at the end of Woodway Street will be closed during weekday day time hours from 21 January to 15 February. This is to allow repairs to the bridge parapet and the crash barriers.