We know that dog fouling is an issue that Teignbridge residents feel strongly about, and one of the District Council’s top priorities is keeping the district clean. As part of their Council Strategy work, they are looking at introducing a new power called a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) that will help them to continue to enforce dog fouling and control issues more consistently across the district.
The PSPO will enhance the existing controls; the law in the past on dog control has been patchy, so a PSPO will help the District Council deal with the minority of irresponsible dog owners who don’t clear up after their dog or control it. For the many responsible dog owners who pick up after their dog wherever they go, nothing will change. Inconsiderate dog owners would be targeted through awareness and enforcement. Registered blind people and assistance dog users will be exempt.
The order also looks at including:
• The requirement for dog walkers to carry a bag or other means of cleaning up after their dog has fouled at all times.
• The prohibition of dogs from entering defined dog ban areas (e.g. children’s play park excluding assistance dogs).
• The requirement for dogs to be kept on leads next to roads.
• For authorised officers to have the power to immediately request dogs are placed on a lead.
• To restrict the number of dogs that can be walked by a single individual, on and off the lead.
Before the District Council considers introducing the PSPO, they want to hear the views of Teignbridge residents, workers, and visitors. They are running a survey, and this can be accessed at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/dogsurvey
Their main focus is to promote responsible dog ownership and caring for our local areas and keeping them safe and accessible for all. The survey will run until the 29th of September 2017. During that time, they will be promoting this as much as possible to capture the views and opinions of Teignbridge residents, including dog owners, dog walkers, and local businesses – their viewpoints will inform how the PSPO is structured.